Almost every student has one and most would agree that figuring out how to help them manage it is very difficult! David Eaton is the co-founder and CEO of Axis and he joins Brian on the podcast today to talk to youth leaders and parents about teens and smartphones.
4 conversations to consistently have:
- Help tie the smartphone into the bigger picture of God’s plan for the world
- The smartphone is very good, but this world is also very cursed
- talk about how is it good and how is it cursed
- Jesus redeems
- Ask “what is it for?”
- There are things it is good at and things that it is bad at
- Is it for community and connection?
- Does it hinder community and connection?
- What do you need out of it?
- What is its intended purpose?
- Drivers Ed
- Enable them to have independence and self-regulation
- Think about your child’s heart the whole time
- Teach them to love righteousness
- Be able to give them the keys when they get to high school
- Create a cellphone contract
- There is no such thing as phone privacy in your home
- What is each app for?
- Model accountability
- We are made for community
- Set a media curfew
- They can tell you anything
- Let them know you love them, care for them, and that they can tell you anything
- If your children don’t know they can trust you, they won’t open up to you
- Are you raising a sin confessor or a sin concealer?
- Deal with the heart, not just behavior
Axis website: https://axis.org/